Colorado

25 DPS board hopefuls to be whittled to nine

More than two dozen people are vying for the seat vacated by Nate Easley on the Denver Public Schools Board of Education, including parent activists, community leaders and previous school board candidates.Logo for Denver Public Schools

The board will whittle that list to nine at what is sure to be an action-packed meeting Monday at 4:30 p.m. at the district headquarters, 900 Grant St. Then an afternoon’s worth of interviews will be held with finalists Thursday.

Easley, who represented District 4 in Northeast Denver, recently resigned stating that his new job of executive director of the Denver Scholarship Foundation would chew up too much of his time.

Whoever is selected will fill the remainder of Easley’s term and face election in November.  The deadline to submit an application was 5 p.m. Friday. Under state law the position must be filled within 60 days of his resignation, which was officially accepted Jan. 18.

If the board is unable to select a replacement, board President Mary Seawell has the authority to name a new board member. That not-so-small detail caused a flare-up during a special meeting by the board early last week, with board members Arturo Jimenez and Andrea Merida raising questions about how Seawell would pick Easley’s replacement if consensus could not be reached. (Watch the meeting video).

“Will you commit to choosing someone from that final pool?” Jimenez asked Seawell.

Seawell declined to define the process should the board fail to reach agreement.

Merida asked her pointedly, “Why don’t you want to commit?”

Seawell said, “I want that not even in our heads … Let’s just try and let’s all come together.”

“We’re going to vote as many times as we need to and we’re going to come together.”

Jimenez said he felt the whole board is not listening to its two Latino members, who initially asked for veto power over the final board pick. That notion was not embraced by a majority of board members. Once the discussion about the board vacancy process wrapped up, Jimenez said, “It feels racist. It feels like the Latino voices on the board are not being heard.”

To that, Seawell said, “To say that this is racist is highly damaging.”

Arturo said, “Well that’s how it feels. It does not seem proper there would be an undefined process.”

Here are the 25 contenders:

  • Rebecca Adams
  • Sean Bradley (worked for Andrew Romanoff and the Colorado League of Charter Schools; now works for the American Federation for Children)
  • Billy Brown
  • Tim Camarillo
  • Alton Clark (ran against Easley in 2009)
  • Kari Cummings
  • Jesus Escarcega (chair of the Colorado Association of Latino/a Administrators and Superintendents)
  • Fred Franko (served on board of Great Education Colorado)
  • Jon Goldin-Dubois (executive director of the Colorado Rapids Youth Soccer Club)
  • Taggart Hansen
  • Jane Hartgrove
  • MiDian Holmes (chair of Stand for Children’s Denver chapter)
  • Antwan Jefferson
  • Vernon Jones, Jr. (a Manual High School administrator who oversees community partnerships)
  • Patricia Ann Kaurouma (former DPS teacher)
  • Roger Kilgore (ran for at-large seat won by winner Happy Haynes in 2011)
  • Ben Kornell (former teacher and member of the board of directors at Get Smart Schools and a member of the advisory council for Colorado Succeeds)
  • Travis Luther
  • Barbara Medina (recently retired head of DPS’s ELL programming)
  • Karen Ray (worked as paraprofessional in DPS)
  • Lisa Roy (executive director of the Timothy and Bernadette Marquez Foundation)
  • Mary Sam (retired DPS teacher who supported Easley recall)
  • Jacqui Shumway (ran unsuccessfully against Haynes in 2011 for Theresa Peña’s seat)
  • Landri Taylor (president and CEO of the Denver Urban League and former member of the RTD board who was intensely involved with NE school turnaround plan)
  • Sharla Williams
Most of the candidates participated in a board candidate forum Wednesday evening at the Evie Dennis campus. Watch a video of their presentations here. 

a 'meaningful' education?

How a Colorado court case could change how public schools everywhere serve students with special needs

Dougco headquarters in Castle Rock (John Leyba/The Denver Post).

The U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday grappled with the question of what kind of education public schools must provide students with disabilities, hearing arguments in a case that originated with a complaint against a suburban Denver school district and that could have profound implications nationwide.

The case involves a student diagnosed with autism and attention deficit/hyperactive disorder. His parents pulled him out of his Douglas County elementary school, saying he wasn’t making enough progress and the district’s response was lacking.

They enrolled the boy in a private school for children with autism and asked the district to reimburse them for the tuition, arguing their son was due a “free appropriate public education” as required by the 1975 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.

The law spells out the requirements states must meet to receive federal money to educate special-needs students. The district declined, saying it had met the standard of the law.

The family eventually filed a lawsuit against the district. Lower courts all sided with the district, reasoning that it had provided the child “some” educational benefit — the standard cited in the federal statute at issue.

Lower courts across the nation have varied in their definition of the proper standard. The high court arguments Wednesday centered on whether “some” benefit was good enough, or whether special-needs students deserve a more “meaningful” benefit.

Jeffrey Fisher, an attorney for the boy’s family, told the justices that as a general rule, individualized education plans for special education students should include “a level of educational services designed to allow the child to progress from grade to grade in the general curriculum.”

Throughout the arguments, the justices expressed frustration with what Justice Samuel Alito described as “a blizzard of words” that the law and courts have used to define what’s appropriate for special needs students.

Chief Justice John Roberts said regardless of the term used, “the whole package has got to be helpful enough to allow the student to keep up with his peers.”

Neal Katyal, an attorney for the school district, argued that providing children “some benefit” is a reasonable standard.

“That’s the way court after court has interpreted it,” he said. “It’s worked well. This court shouldn’t renege on that.”

Ron Hager, senior staff attorney for special education at the National Disability Rights Network, attended the oral arguments Wednesday and said he was optimistic the lower court’s ruling would be overturned.

He said if the Supreme Court does overturn the federal Tenth Circuit Court’s ruling and requires a higher standard, it won’t necessarily come with major financial costs for school districts. Instead, he said, it will nudge them to be proactive and provide teacher training and intervention services early on instead of waiting until problems — and the expenses associated with them — snowball later.

Marijo Rymer, executive director of the Arc of Colorado, which advocates on behalf of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, said she was heartened to see the case advance to the Supreme Court. Establishing a clearer standard on what constitutes a fair and appropriate education for students with disabilities is a civil rights issue, she said.

“It’s critical that federal law, which is what this is based on, be reinforced and supported, and the court is in the position to deliver that message to the nation’s schools and the taxpayers that fund them,” Rymer said.

Both Hager and Rymer acknowledged that even if the Supreme Court establishes a new, higher standard, it could be open to interpretation. Still, they said it would send a strong message to school districts about their responsibilities to students with disabilities.

Summer remix

Ten stories you may have missed this summer (and should read now as the new school year kicks in)

PHOTO: Caroline Bauman
Gabrielle Colburn, 7, adds her artistic flair to a mural in downtown Memphis in conjunction with the XQ Super Schools bus tour in June.

Labor Day used to signal the end of summer break and the return to school. That’s no longer the case in Tennessee, but the long holiday is a good time to catch up on all that happened over the summer. Here are 10 stories to get you up to speed on K-12 education in Tennessee and its largest school district.

TNReady is back — with a new test maker.

Last school year ended on a cliffhanger, with the State Department of Education canceling its end-of-year tests for grades 3-8 in the spring and firing testmaker Measurement Inc. after a series of missteps. In July, Commissioner Candice McQueen announced that Minnesota-based Questar will pick up where Measurement Inc. left off. She also outlined the state’s game plan for standardized tests in the coming year.

But fallout over the state’s failed TNReady test in 2015-16 will be felt for years.

The one-year void in standardized test scores has hit Tennessee at the heart of its accountability system, leaving the state digging for other ways to assess whether all of its students are improving.

Speaking of accountability, Tennessee also is updating that plan under a new federal education law.

The state Department of Education has been working with educators, policymakers and community members on new ways to evaluate schools in answer to the federal Every Student Succeeds Act, or ESSA, which requires states to judge schools by non-academic measures as well as test scores.

Meanwhile, issues of race and policing have educators talking about how to foster conversations about social justice in school.

In the wake of police-related killings that rocked the nation, five Memphis teachers talked about how they tackle difficult conversations about race all year long.

School closures made headlines again in Memphis — with more closings likely.

Closing schools has become an annual event as Tennessee’s largest district loses students and funding, and this year was no exception. The shuttering of Carver and Northside high schools brought the total number of district-run school closures to at least 21 since 2012. And more are likely. This month, Shelby County Schools is scheduled to release a facilities analysis that should set the stage for future closures. Superintendent Dorsey Hopson has said the district needs to shed as many as two dozen schools — and 27,000 seats — over the next four years. A Chalkbeat analysis identifies 25 schools at risk.

Exacerbating the challenges of shifting enrollment, families in Foote Homes scrambled to register their children for school as Memphis’ last public housing project prepared to close this month amid a delay in delivering housing vouchers to move elsewhere.

The new school year has officially begun, with the budget approved not a moment too soon for Shelby County Schools.

District leaders that began the budget season facing an $86 million shortfall eventually convinced county commissioners to significantly increase local funding, while also pulling some money from the school system’s reserve funds. The result is a $959 million budget that gives most of the district’s teachers a 3 percent raise and restores funding for positions deemed critical for continued academic progress.

The district also unveiled its first annual report on its growing sector of charter schools.

With charter schools now firmly entrenched in Memphis’ educational landscape, a Shelby County Schools analysis shows a mixed bag of performance, while calling on traditional and charter schools to learn from each other and promising better ways to track quality.