- School board candidate petitions filed by Friday’s deadline suggest lively races in Denver, Dougco and Jeffco. EdNews Colorado
- Douglas County’s teachers union told the state that it intends to challenge the district’s new teacher evaluation law. Denver Post
- Tension between educational needs and the ability to raise revenue is spurring new reforms in Colorado. 5280
- Denver Superintendent Tom Boasberg has much riding on the outcome of this fall’s school board elections. Denver Post
- The Littleton school board voted to put an $80 million bond measure on November’s ballot. Our Colorado News
- Charter schools in Greeley, as around the country, have a mixed record and draw controversy over their expectations and outcomes. Greeley Tribune
- Poudre schools closed on Friday due to the heat for the first time in the district’s history. Coloradoan
- Sequestration budget cuts hurt low-income students more than affluent ones. MSNBC
- Massachusetts’ high academic standards and its high outcomes make it an often-cited example for other states. New York Times
- A little-known federal program that assesses the impact of educational programs has produced findings but as yet little impact. New York Times
- Suspending school for heat is an increasingly common practice, and hot weather has complicated some plans to extend the school year. AP via Colorado Daily
- “Sesame Street” has broadened its academic focus to include much more science and engineering concepts. New York Times
- Schools are getting much more creative with physical fitness offerings. Reuters via HuffPo
- The Coloradoan suggests that even though most parents still aren’t familiar with Common Core standards, they’re not new to Colorado.
Rise & Shine
Each weekday morning, we search websites of various media, comb through RSS feeds and peruse Google alerts to bring you a roundup of the day’s top education headlines, in Colorado and across the country, by 8 a.m. If you’d like to suggest a story we’ve missed or a source we should add to the list, please email us at email@example.com.