mea culpa

Denver Public Schools owns up to not thoroughly vetting school board appointee

Denver Public Schools Susana Cordova (Photo By John Leyba/The Denver Post).

Denver Public Schools Acting Superintendent Susana Cordova apologized Friday for the failure of her staff to thoroughly vet applicants for a vacant school board seat before the board appointed parent activist MiDian Holmes last week.

“We definitely knew the board wanted us to do background checks on all the applicants,” Cordova said in an interview. “That was really clear. We did do background checks. We did not do thorough background checks. That’s a problem. That’s why we are where we are.”

Holmes was appointed April 12 but announced two days later she wouldn’t accept the position after it came to light she hadn’t been truthful about the circumstances of a 2006 misdemeanor child abuse conviction.

She told the district it stemmed from the police being called after her 2-year-old daughter wandered out of their apartment. But records obtained by Chalkbeat after Holmes was appointed revealed it was actually related to police finding her three young children home alone.

When board members voted to appoint her, they had only her version of events.

Board president Anne Rowe said Friday that it was “unfortunate that despite the board’s request to do the appropriate level of background checks, it did not happen and the board was not aware of this until after we voted.”

Holmes — a school reform advocate, DPS alumna and parent of three students — was chosen from an initial field of 22 applicants to represent northeast Denver on the seven-member board after the previous representative, Landri Taylor, resigned in February.

On March 15, the district began conducting background checks on the finalists for the position, Cordova said. DPS safety and security staff, the district’s general counsel and members of the chief of staff’s office were involved in doing the checks, she said.

By March 25, the district had arrest records, district spokeswoman Nancy Mitchell said. But that information was not immediately shared with board members, she said. Instead, Mitchell said, the board learned about Holmes’s conviction sometime between March 25 and when they appointed her on April 12. She did not provide a specific date.

The district has yet to release documents that might shed light on the sequence of events.

With the deadline passed for the board to appoint a new member, the task now falls to Rowe.

Cordova said the district is in the process of more thoroughly checking into the backgrounds of the other finalists. That should be completed Monday, she said.

The district did not have a documented process for vetting candidates to fill a board vacancy because the situation happens infrequently, Cordova said.

But now, she said, the district is “thoroughly and thoughtfully reviewing what happened to make sure it does not happen again.” In the future, she said the district will ask candidates to submit to a more rigorous fingerprint background check. If anything comes up, Cordova said, “we will review the full case file, including the disposition and details.”

rules and regs

New York adds some flexibility to its free college scholarship rules. Will it be enough for more students to benefit?

PHOTO: Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo
Governor Andrew Cuomo delivered his 2017 regional State of the State address at the University at Albany.

New York is offering more wiggle room in a controversial “Excelsior” scholarship requirement that students stay in-state after graduating, according to new regulations released Thursday afternoon.

Members of the military, for example, will be excused from the rule, as will those who can prove an “extreme hardship.”

Overall, however, the plan’s rules remain strict. Students are required to enroll full-time and to finish their degrees on time to be eligible for the scholarship — significantly limiting the number who will ultimately qualify.

“It’s a high bar for a low-income student,” said Sara Goldrick-Rab, a leading expert on college affordability and a professor at Temple University. “It’s going to be the main reason why students lose the scholarship.”

The scholarship covers free college tuition at any state college or university for students whose families earn less than $125,000 per year. But it comes with a major catch: Students who receive Excelsior funding must live and work in New York state for the same number of years after graduation as they receive the scholarship. If they fail to do so, their scholarships will be converted to loans, which the new regulations specify have 10-year terms and are interest-free.

The new regulations allow for some flexibility:

  • The loan can now be prorated. So if a student benefits from Excelsior for four years but moves out of state two years after graduation, the student would only owe two years of payments.
  • Those who lose the scholarship but remain in a state school, or complete a residency in-state, will have that time count toward paying off their award.
  • Members of the military get a reprieve: They will be counted as living and working in-state, regardless of where the person is stationed or deployed.
  • In cases of “extreme hardship,” students can apply for a waiver of the residency and work requirements. The regulations cite “disability” and “labor market conditions” as some examples of a hardship. A state spokeswoman said other situations that “may require that a student work to help meet the financial needs of their family” would qualify as a hardship, such as a death or the loss of a job by a parent.
  • Students who leave the state for graduate school or a residency can defer repaying their award. They would have to return to New York afterwards to avoid having the scholarship convert to a loan.

Some of law’s other requirements were also softened. The law requires students to enroll full-time and take average of 30 credits a year — even though many SUNY and CUNY students do not graduate on time. The new regulations would allow students to apply credits earned in high school toward the 30-credit completion requirement, and stipulates that students who are disabled do not have to enroll full-time to qualify.

early running

Denver school board race opens up as Rosemary Rodriguez announces she won’t seek re-election

PHOTO: Nicholas Garcia
Board member Rosemary Rodriguez speaks at Abraham Lincoln High (Chalkbeat file)

Denver school board member Rosemary Rodriguez said Wednesday that she is not running for re-election, putting her southwest Denver seat up for grabs in what will likely be a contentious school board campaign this fall with control of the board at stake.

Rodriguez told Chalkbeat she is retiring from her job as senior advisor to Democratic U.S. Senator Michael Bennet and plans to sell her home and buy a smaller one that belonged to her grandparents.

That home is not in her school board district, District 2, but in the district represented by board member Lisa Flores. With the exception of at-large members, Denver school board members must live in the districts they represent.

“If it weren’t the case, I would still be running,” Rodriguez said.

During her four-year tenure, Rodriguez worked with community groups and others to spotlight student achievement in southwest Denver, leading to new schools and better transportation.

Former Denver Public Schools teacher and Denver native Angela Cobian announced Wednesday that she is running for the seat. Rodriguez has endorsed Cobian, a political newcomer who works for the nonprofit Leadership for Educational Equity, which helps Teach for America members and alumni get involved in politics and advocacy.

All seven current board members support Denver’s nationally known brand of education reform, which includes a “portfolio” of traditional district-run, charter, magnet and innovation schools.

With four of the the board’s seats up for grabs this November, the campaign presents an opportunity for opponents of those reforms to again try to get a voice on the board.

The field is still very much taking shape. The most competitive race so far involves District 4 in northeast Denver. Incumbent Rachele Espiritu, who was appointed to the seat last year, announced her campaign earlier this month. The board chose Espiritu after its initial pick, MiDian Holmes, withdrew after a child abuse case came to light and she was not forthcoming with all the details.

Also filing paperwork to run in District 4 is Jennifer Bacon, who was a finalist in the process that led to the board picking Espiritu. Auontai “Tay” Anderson, the student body president of Manual High School, declared his candidacy for the northeast Denver seat in April.

Incumbents Mike Johnson and Barbara O’Brien have not yet filed election paperwork with the state. Two candidates have declared for O’Brien’s at-large seat: Julie Banuelos and Jo Ann Fujioka.