Memphis will return to typical school calendar next year, but this year’s summer break will be shorter

Superintendent Joris Ray sits with school board members separated by plastic dividers during a meeting at the district’s headquarters
Shelby County Schools Superintendent Joris Ray during the school board’s first votes in person in a year. (Laura Faith Kebede / Chalkbeat)

The 2021-22 school year will begin Aug. 9 and end before Memorial Day in a calendar that Shelby County Schools board members approved Tuesday. 

The start date ensures that the first semester ends before winter break, but also shortens the upcoming summer break.

The Memphis district’s current school year will end June 16, two weeks later than normal. Afterward,  many students and up to half the district’s teachers will enter a four-week summer learning program to combat learning loss from the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Shelby County Schools officials expect the summer learning program, which state law requires districts to offer, to serve as many as a third of its students. Some board members worried about student and teacher burnout, but Superintendent Joris Ray said during a previous meeting that ending next school year by Memorial Day was more important to survey respondents than a longer summer break this year. 

The Aug. 9 start date was the more popular option among parents and teachers in a district survey last month.

The Latest

The current version of the legislation is a far cry from what bill sponsors envisioned.

One building will become a preschool center. Another will be the new home of an existing middle and high school.

Students who complete one of the state’s new graduation pathways will also be eligible for interviews with large companies.

The council asked for nearly $300 million more for early childhood education, which has emerged as a major sticking point in recent budget negotiations.

There are 11 candidates running for three seats, as teen voters gear up to vote for the first time in the local school board election.

Illinois says the federal government’s plan to rescind $77 million in COVID relief funds will impact programs in 27 school districts statewide.