Most of the city’s nearly 1 million students have not set foot in a classroom in almost 550 days.
The Detroit Public Schools Community District had 50,000 students enrolled on the first day of school, but it may take home visits to get all of them in the classroom.
On the first day of full-time in-person learning, families searched for an elusive new normal.
The COVID-19 outbreak is changing our daily reality
Chalkbeat is a nonprofit newsroom dedicated to providing the information families and educators need, but this kind of work isn't possible without your help.
Connect with your community
Find upcoming events
- Sep 20 – Fall High School Journalism Workshop – UHMP
- Sep 29 – Learn Scratch Coding with Kahoot
- Sep 30 – Testing the Limits Virtual Field Trip with Boeing and Discovery Education
- Oct 19 – The Robertson Center Presents: The Real Value of Math Class
- Nov 16 – The Robertson Center Presents: The Real Value of Math Class for Parents Webinar